SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday 14 May 2014

1950s Rockabilly hair and make-up tutorial

 
 
 
I recently went to a friends birthday which had a 1950s Rockabilly theme and after posting a few pictures on some social networking sites I had a couple of friends (shout out to Hilary and Becky) asking me to explain how I got the look... so hope you enjoy :)






 
 

For my make-up I began by applying Benefit porefessional on my T-zone and then Clinique Anti-Blemish foundation in Fresh Alabaster followed by Rimmel Wake me up Concealer underneath my eyes, next I set this all with a translucent powder by Collection. I kept the colours on my face very neutral as I wanted to wear a bright red lipstick so for my eyes I just used Kid by Mac over the entire lid and then I got to work with creating my winged eyeliner. I don't think I breathed for the entire time of applying it! I used the L'Oreal super liner which is like a felt tip pen so I had a lot more control, I followed this with the L'Oreal Miss Manga mascara. Then came time to add some blusher and I chose 'Gingerly' by Mac and placed it in the apple of my cheeks and blended it out to my temples. Last but not least was the iconic red lip of the 50s I first lined my lips with the Rimmel Exaggerate lip liner in 'Red Diva' and also filled my lips in with that crayon and then I used a natural collection lipstick called 'Crimson' over the top.





 
 
 
 
For my hair I took inspiration from Teddy boys and the one and only Elvis Presley! Ladies of this period genuinely had big waves, beehives and victory rolls were still worn at the front but as my hair is so long I knew none of them would have worked. This is a really easy hairstyle to achieve so keep on reading to find out how....
 
 
 
1- This is officially your excuse to not wash your hair as I did this on 3 day old hair as otherwise I had no hope of this staying up! In this time you really come to appreciate dry shampoo :)
 
 
2- Separate the front section of your hair, this is the part that you will be making into a quiff.
 
 
3- Tie the rest of your hair into a pony tail
 
 
4- Using a back combing brush start teasing the front section of your hair, I decided to separate this even further so I back combed it in smaller sections to create even more volume. Once I had done each layer I sprayed it with a generous amount of hairspray.
 
 
5- Once happy with the quiff I flipped it over and pinned it into place with a few hair pins
 
 
6- Then simply tied the rest of the hair that was hanging into the pony tail with another hair band.
 
 
7- Finally I took a piece of hair from the pony tail and wrapped it around the hairbands and pinned it in place before spraying my entire hair with a lot of hairspray!
 
 
 
This took me around 45 minutes to achieve and it lasted me a whole night of dancing so it's definitely worth the effort :)
 
 
 




 
On my nails I wore Rimmel London in Double Decker Red and it matched my lipstick perfectly so it finished off the look quite nicely.
 
 
 
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and let me know if you try this look out. I have linked all of the products to where you can buy them so just click on their names to be taken to the website.



Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.